DnD Charakterbögen ausfüllen ist kompliziert. Das ist als ob
man erst Immigrationspapiere ausfüllen muss bevor man die
Fantasywelt betreten darf. (SK)

External Content not shown. Further Information.

When it comes to web-browsing, I think I would call myself a "power-user". My current feed-list has 585 entries (some of them are comment feeds, but still a large number), and the usual way of reading them is letting newsbeuter manage them, then "pre-filter" them (most feeds do not have content embedded, and newsbeuter is a console ui, which is nice but not really suitable for webcomics, etc.) and putting them on a list that I then select in Firefox. Then I will use a feature of Tab Mix Plus, namely being able to open all selected links in new tabs. Furthermore, I configured Tab Mix Plus such that it shows these tabs in multiple lines. For a long period of time, I configured it to show the tab bar at the bottom rather than the top, but this feature someday began not to work properly anymore, and I did not have time to investigate further.

At present, Firefox seems to be the only browser that can really handle many tabs properly. Chromium has some extensions that sort-of work, but it is that kind of software that "knows best". Opera had this feature in the past, too, but they dropped it. Vivaldi seems nice with respect to that. I also used tab groups, which is a feature that will soon be dropped. Now I got used to bookmarks for the same purpose.

Firefox has a good crash recovery mechanism that usually works, but it occured to me several times now that my profile got broken and I lost many of my bookmarks or at least had a lot of work restoring them, and all the settings. In the past I used Weave, which is now called Sync. However, I wanted to run my own server, because the official Mozilla server had a 5 MiB boundary, which is not enough for me (and besides that, I have a server, so I want to use it), but someday they changed the protocol and dropped support for the old protocol, and there was no easy way of setting up a new server.

These are several reasons why I am trying to keep my local Firefox profile working. So here is what I am doing:

Firstly, my Linux runs on a LVM. So I can create an additional logical volume "firefox", which I made a 512 MiB ext3 partition. This partition will be mounted (via fstab) to ~/.mozilla. And then, I use a straightforward backup procedure:

#!/usr/bin/env bash


while test -e "${SECPATH}/backup.$i"; do ((i++)); done

lvcreate -l 100%FREE --snapshot /dev/lvm1/firefox -n firefox-b || (wall "konnte kein backup erstellen!"; exit 1)
TMPFL=$(mktemp -d)
mount -o ro /dev/lvm1/firefox-b ${TMPFL} || (wall "konnte backup erstellen aber nicht mounten. tmp-directory $TMPFL wurde nicht geloescht."; exit 1)

rsync -alH --delete "${TMPFL}/" "${SECPATH}/backup.$i" --link-dest "${SECPATH}/backup.$((i-1))"

umount /dev/lvm1/firefox-b || (wall "Konnte backup /dev/lvm1/firefox-b (auf $TMPFL) nicht unmounten!"; exit 1)
lvremove -f /dev/lvm1/firefox-b || (wall "konnte /dev/lvm1/firefox-b nicht loeschen!"; exit 1)
rm -rf ${TMPFL} || (wall "konnte $TMPFL nicht loeschen!"; exit 1)

if [ $i -ge "$BACKUPNUM" ]; then
rm -rf "${SECPATH}/backup.0"
j=0; while [ $j -lt $i ]; do
mv "${SECPATH}/backup.$((j+1))" "${SECPATH}/backup.$j"

exit 0

Of course, I could just rsync the original directory, but that already broke some of my configurations (probably because it is not "atomic"). Creating an LVM snapshot leaves a directory that looks like the system has crashed – a situation Firefox can usually handle. I am running this script every 10 minutes in a loop. It is not perfect, but it serves its purpose.

Update: I now use BTRFS which has an internal snapshot mechanism. The code now looks like

while true;
do btrfs subvolume snapshot -r .mozilla/ snap/dot_mozilla_`date -u +%s`;
   sleep 600;